The Sovereign Lord's Suffering, Saving Servant
Scripture: Isaiah 50:1–53:12
Isaiah’s Four “Servant Songs” about:
The Sovereign Lord’s
1. Servant in whom He delights! (Isaiah 42:1)
Servant who sinned against him! (Isaiah 42:18-19, 24)
2. Servant whose work is frustrating, but who will bring salvation to the ends of the earth! (Isaiah 49:4, 6)
3. Servant who resolutely obeys (Isaiah 50:4-10)
who offers himself up to suffering
who is vindicated in the face of his accuser
who call us to obey his word
- Listen to his call! The cup of wrath will be removed! (Isaiah 51)
- Awake, awake! Burst into songs of joy together (Isaiah 52:9)
You ruins of Jerusalem!
4. Servant whose suffering accomplishes our salvation (Isaiah 52:13-53:12)
Who is lifted up in suffering and in glory!
Palm Sunday: Jesus, the Son of God, the Sovereign Lord’s Servant
came to Jerusalem, lifted up as King when he entered,
to be lifted up on a cross for our sake!