The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: Chapter 16
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Scripture Reference: Ephesians 6:12
Lesson 8 Outline:
A. Summarize Chapters 1-15
B. Read Chapter 16 of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe or the Chapters Summary
C. Interactive Activity: Breaking the Spell
D. A Visit with the Professor: Instrument of Power
E. Bible Memory Game: Bible Verse Pop
Verse: “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood…but against the spiritual forces of evil.” Ephesians 6:12
F. Travel Log: Over-Powering
G. Discussion Questions
- Create Bible Verse Pop sheet
- Witch’s wand
- Timer (phone)
- 8 Balloons
- 1 Chair
- Large trash can/Container to put all the balloons in
- Scotch Tape
- Construction Paper
- White Paper
Craft Idea: Surprise Picture
- Cut out a cross out of cardboard for each child.
- Glue each to a piece of construction paper and scotch tape a piece of white paper on top of it to cover it up.
- Give each child a set of the above papers and a crayon.
- Tell them to use the crayon to scribble across their white pieces of paper to discover what the surprise picture is.
- Edmund went through a radical change on the inside, just as your children will when they accept Christ as their Savior!
“Dear Lord, each day my children battle the temptations in the world around them. The distractions coming from shows, music and those they meet on the playground at their school or extra-curricular activities, keep them from listening to You. Some even struggle with anger, lying, laziness, and pride. Please put Your loving arms around my children. Protect them from these evil forces. Help them to recognize Satan’s instruments of power, to break away from them, and rest in You!”
Chapter 16 Summary
In the valley just below the Stone Table, Peter and his faithful little army were fighting for their lives. Many of his soldiers had already been turned to stone by the wicked Witch. Edmund was bravely fighting alongside his brother. He knew if he could just get the wand out of the Witch’s hand she would be defenseless. Soon he had his opportunity and he destroyed her instrument of power with his sword.
When Aslan arrived with is fresh troops, they quickly joined the battle. Aslan fought the White Witch himself and after leaping through the air and landing on her, she breathed her last. With the death of their leader, the wicked creatures who made up the Queen’s army were defeated.
Breaking the Spell
- A wand
- Stop watch (or phone)
- A large playing area is needed for this game
- All but two players line up on one side of the room. The two remaining players stand in the center of the room. One is the “Witch” and carries a wand. The other is “Aslan” and does not carry anything.
- On “GO” all the players except the “Witch” and “Aslan” run from one side of the room to the other. If the “Witch” tags one of these players before they reach the other side, they must freeze in position. When this happens, only “Aslan” can free them by touching them.
- At the end of two minutes, count how many statues there are. (Players can run from one side to the other as many times as they would like during the two minutes.)
Today’s story took us to the second, and final, battle between good and evil. What’s more important, it showed Edmund’s transformation from a bad boy bend on having his own way to him being a warrior on the side of doing what was right. Using his knowledge of the secret of the Queen’s evil power over those who opposed her, he destroyed her wand. Only then did the tide of the battle turn in favor of the little army left at Aslan’s camp. Once the Queen’s power was gone, Aslan returned before she had a chance to regain control and killed her.
When we turn to Jesus, we, too, can overcome the instruments of evil that Satan uses against us. We then have the power to resist temptations to do that which is wrong. As with Edmund, once the transformation has taken place on the inside, we want to show it on the outside so that all can see that we truly are changed!
Bible Verse Pop
- 8 balloons
- 1 large trash can to put all the balloons in
- 1 chair
- Create Bible verses:
- One set
- Cut them in strips
- Roll each strip and put one in each balloon
- Blow the balloons up & put them in the trash can
- You will need teams of 8, to break into two teams, so just work as one team.
- On “GO” the first player runs to the trash can, gets a balloon, takes it to their chair and pops the balloon by sitting on it.
- He or she takes the Bible verse strip from the popped balloon and runs back. He or she tags the next player who repeats steps #2 & #3.
- Complete the game by laying the Bible verse on the floor in order.
“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood…but against the spiritual forces of evil.” Ephesians 6:12
is not against
forces of evil.
Verse for Grades K-2nd:
“For our struggle is against evil.” Ephesians 6:12
Write down four things that have power over you. Are they a good influence or a bad influence? Draw a picture of something that has power over people. Discuss it together.
- Describe your picture of something that has power over people.
- If you could change one thing with God’s help that has power over people, what would it be?
- What are some steps you can take to change that one thing?