Hagar and Sarah
Scripture: Galatians 4:21–4:31
Are we enslaved to the law
or children of the promise?
Intro: You who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law
1. Abraham had two children:
- One born by the slave woman, and one by the free woman.
- One born the ordinary way, but the other as a result of a promise.
- Become familiar with Genesis 12-22
2. Paul’s figurative illustration: The two women represent two covenants
- Hagar: the covenant of works
from Mount Sinai, who bears children who are slaves
Hagar, who stands for Mount Sinai
and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem
- Sarah: the covenant of grace
from the Jerusalem that is above
who bears children of promise who are free.
3. Bottom line:
- Are you trying to achieve God’s blessing in the ordinary way?
- Are you receiving God’s blessing by the power of the Spirit?
More in Galatians
September 4, 2016The Unbearable Burden
August 28, 2016Hear IT, Understand IT, Live IT: Again and Again and Again
August 21, 2016Care for One Another